In this guide, we will go over everything you need to know about Pokémon Coins in Pokémon GO. You will also learn how to earn them and why you should try to earn a few daily.
What are Pokémon Coins used for in Pokémon GO?
These virtual coins allow us to purchase in-game items that provide enhancements. We can buy:
- Pokémon GO Pass
- Upgraded Backpack
Among many other items that will greatly improve our performance in the game, therefore Pokémon Coins are a necessary item within the game that offers certain competitive advantages.
We recommend using them to increase the backpack capacity and the number of Pokémon you can possess.
How can Pokémon Coins be obtained?
Currently, there are two ways to obtain them. The first, and the one most trainers will use to acquire Pokémon Coins, is through Gyms. In these locations, you can earn up to 50 Pokémon Coins per day and a maximum of 350 per week.
They can also be purchased with real money, which accelerates the game even further and makes it even more fast-paced.
How do I earn Pokémon Coins from Gyms?
Recently, Pokémon GO modified Gyms and implemented some regulations for earning Pokémon Coins:
- To earn 1 Pokémon Coin, you must conquer the Gym and have your Pokémon defend it for at least 10 minutes.
- Every 10 minutes your Pokémon spends defending the Gym, you will earn 1 Pokémon Coin.
- You will receive the Pokémon Coins when your defending Pokémon is defeated. Learn how to better defend your Gym with the best Pokémon.
- The maximum number of Pokémon Coins a Pokémon can earn from a Gym is 50, regardless of how long it has been there. This is the daily limit per Gym.
- You can have up to 20 Pokémon in different Gyms.
- Choosing the appropriate Pokémon to defend Gyms can make a big difference in the number of Pokémon Coins you can earn. Pokémon with higher CP and HP are usually the best defenders.
How can I quickly earn coins?
We have already mentioned that you can only have 50 Pokémon Coins per day, but it is not easy to have your Pokémon in large cities and keep them there for a long time. Therefore, we provide
you with some tips to more quickly obtain these daily Pokémon Coins:
- Gyms are usually calm during the early morning hours. Try capturing Gyms late at night to have your Pokémon generate coins.
- Don’t just capture one and move on, especially during midday.
- Place Pokémon with high health and resistance, such as Snorlax, Lapras, or Vaporeon, in Gyms.
- It’s better if the Gyms are spaced apart, so that trainers who have defeated one cannot easily reach another.
- Research tasks provide a constant way to earn Pokémon Coins. Try to complete all your research tasks daily to maximize your earnings.
- Participating in Pokémon GO events is an excellent way to earn extra Pokémon Coins. Make sure to regularly check the game’s news to not miss any events.
What are the prices of Pokémon Coins in the store?
- 100 PokéCoins: €0.99 – $19.00
- 500 PokéCoins: €5.49 – $129.00
- 1,200 PokéCoins: €10.99 – $249.00
- 2,500 PokéCoins: €21.99 – $499.00
- 5,200 PokéCoins: €43.99 – $1,029.00
- 14,500 PokéCoins: €109.99 – $2,499.00
Now that you know how to make proper use of Pokémon Coins, we invite you to discover what else you can do with them.
Purchase incubators that allow you to obtain new Pokémon by hatching eggs or discover all Pokémon radars to search for new Pokémon.